This 12-day an ideal mix of adventure and relaxation…. Mt. CookLeave Christchurch, and the coast, behind at present and travel inland to the mountains. First cross the fertile Canterbury Plains, before arriving at Lake Tekapo.
Kaikoura could also be well-known for its whale and dolphin sightings, but it’s additionally one of the world’s most plentiful areas for oceangoing birds just like the southern royal albatross. The Kaikoura Peninsula presents spectators a have a look at petrels, shearwaters, terns, shags and gulls in addition to a fur seal colony. Stewart Island is the smallest of the three primary New Zealand islands, and is a comparatively accessible place to see both breeding seabirds and visitors from Subantarctic and even Antarctic waters.
This occurs each winter and you’ll likely see many baby fur seals swimming up the stream and into the waterfall to play. However, make certain to maintain your distance, as they are often very inquisitive. It’s a small group tour, with a most of 10 individuals per boat – so, it’s an efficient way to flee the crowds. Because as you realize, if you’ve visited Kaikoura, the opposite fur seal recognizing locations just like the Peninsula Walkway and Ohau Point can get very busy, particularly during the summer time.
- On arrival, you have free time to discover Kaikoura or buy an early lunch earlier than you’re transferred to your boat.
- After your whale-watching tour, take pleasure in a leisurely lunch with sea views.
- The International Antarctic Centre aims to recreate the atmosphere and setting of Antarctica, offering visitors with an interactive, fun and educational experience.
- Housed in an beautiful historic constructing are outstanding Maori exhibits, a Victorian Christchurch Street, an in depth Antarctic collection and interactive enjoyable for the kids in Discovery.
- We didn’t should go far earlier than we began to see some good birds, with Caspian Tern within the harbor, shortly adopted by a small flock of White-fronted Terns, our greatest view thus far.
The timber in and round Arrowtown create a spectacle each Autumn with their leaves turning every shade of yellow and orange – a glowing golden landscape. Walk past waterfalls, go looking for yellow-eyed penguins at Curio Bay, witness the magic of Nugget Point by sea, and visit the South Island’s version of Cathedral Caves. A variety of tour operators run excursions to see the dolphins, and likewise supply the possibility to have a closer look. I swam with Hector’s dolphins final yr and it was truly an unforgettable experience. And while it might be tempting to make a journey down the scenic route your self, it’s most likely greatest to go away the driving to experienced guides. Most car rental corporations won’t cowl you if the worst ought to happen.
My spouse and I visited ‘Penguin Place’ on the Otago Peninsula at present 8 January 2022. George is a really enthusiastic individual, who is very informed, very capable of impart his knowledge and makes positive visitors have one of the best experience attainable. During our visit we witnessed a yellow eyed penguin come out of the ocean, clearly with a belly full of fish ! It ‘waddled’ it’s method approx a number of hundred metres as much as a peak of approx 70 metres to its mate, who was ready patiently for its supper.
There are additionally options to combine a half-day cruise with a hike as nicely. To get out here you will want to have a sea taxi booked to and from your begin and endpoints. We have an article on things to do in Nelson in case you have extra time. This excellent museum has numerous glorious exhibitions specializing in New Zealand’s historical past and geography.